Tuesday, February 5, 2019

It's a cat's life.

Cat on a John Deere tractor
Cats.  You either love them, or you love to hate them.  My standard cat joke, "I love cats; they're good with salt," gets the kind of reaction you would expect.  Cat lovers hate the joke, and the "others" find it funny.  It is one of those polarizing things, like cats themselves.

The pros and cons of cats are many - similar to the number of ways there are to skin one.  They keep vermin populations down (pro), but they also kill birds (con).  They can be lovable pets (pro) and they can tear you to pieces (con).  Their range of behaviours are stunning, as any cat video uploaded to youtube will attest to (this happens to be both at the same time).  They can be friendly and approachable (pro) but also paranoid and aloof (con).  The list goes on.

Then there are the lives they have; nine of them.  Think of how the animal kingdom would protest if they had a voice.  Dogs only get one kick at the can, how fair is that?  Imagine if fish enjoyed the same survive-ability index that felines had.  Catch one on a line and reel it in, only to get a note on the hook saying, "eight left."  Hunters would have to use automatic weapons to take down their prey; a dozen or so rounds should do the trick. 

I happen to be a huge wildlife fan as my other blogs regarding birds, invertebrates, and non-avian vertebrates would attest to.  Cats have been a pet peeve of mine for some time.  It is estimated that they kill over two billion (that's billion with a B!) birds just in the continental US alone each year.  I have personally found the remains of quite a few birds which were the fodder of ambitious pussies.  Many of them were just toyed with to the point of death; not nutrients for an otherwise starving body. 

It is the innate tendencies which resides in cats which makes them what they are.  They are born killing machines which we form loving bonds with.  Both my sister and my son adore their fur lined shredding devices.  My favourite cat, Garfield, raises my spirits with his hilarious antics.  I also always enjoy the occasional intimate moment afforded me when one crosses my path.  I just hope it is not a black one.

No comments:

Post a Comment