Monday, February 4, 2019

A winter scene using the rule of thirds

Using the Rule of Thirds to compose a shot
A winter's moment frozen in time, this was photographed some years ago.  There is snow on my front lawn today, but it is nothing like the dump we received from this particular snowfall.  I remember the day well; a thick frosting that bent conifer branches deeply and impeded any and all traffic.  I pushed through the early morning knowing that the sites would quickly succumb to warming temperatures.  Daring to walk in a few places, I found myself hip deep in the occasional drift.

When shooting, I look for places that I find visually appealing.  The size of the scene is irrelevant; as small as a Christmas decoration or as large as a forest - they are all fodder for the lens.  Coming across something warrants opening up my equipment to the elements.  The time is brief as moisture is the enemy of anything electronic.  Condensation, melting snow, even one's moisture laden breath can delay a shot or destroy a camera.  Caution is required; risk can be mitigated but not avoided.

Notice the image above; there are a few things going on which may go unnoticed.  First off is the fact that the image was intentionally overexposed from the camera's recommendations.  This is because the white snow will end up looking grey if not given the extra light.  Exposure compensation is almost always required when shooting snow scenes.  It is also often true for back lighting, white beaches, and shooting against white backgrounds.  Usually a +1 setting is enough, although I have had to, on occasion, go as high as +2.

A second point is that the scene can be clearly divided into thirds.  The rule of thirds is a cardinal axiom in photography.  The top of the bench, the planter, the tree, and to some extent the first post all are in thirds positions.  This helps the eye to move though out the scene without being stuck in the middle with little suggestion as to the environment the moment finds itself in.  The background comes through with more intensity when the subject does not take up the center.

Lastly, although the picture appears to be a still-life, notice the movement of snow falling from the tree onto the bench below.  This small bit of animation adds to the moment.  In this particular case I facilitated the event by reaching up with my left hand and tugging on a branch.  Often I will capture a static scene and then create some form of motion and capture it again, this time with some animation.  One will usually be better than the other, but it is not always the same one.

Photography is the art of capturing light.  Although it can take place in only a fraction of a second, the process of looking for and finding attractive spots, coupled with manipulating the camera properly, makes the process an ongoing quest for improvement.  My hope is that I am better now than what I was, and that I will be better again in the future than what I am now.  That's part of the fun though, trying to use the knowledge of the craft for personal betterment.

www.ericspix.com

No comments:

Post a Comment