Friday, February 22, 2019

Colours and lines

Sometimes, you just have to stop.
I admit to being driven.  Specifically, when I am travelling I feel compelled to get there with the minimum number of stops.  Home, destination, go.  It was something I learned from my dad, who could drive for 48 hours straight with only stops for gas.  If we could have installed a 200 gallon gas tank on top of the car, even those few breathers would have disappeared.  We made it from Kingston, Ontario to Sylvan Lake, Alberta once in 44 hours. 

So, driving for me is not something to enjoy, but rather an obstacle to overcome.  Not that I don't like driving.  Some of my fondest memories of my dad are in the car, passing by all the wonderful places to explore.  I love driving my RV.  Once seated though, the whole appeal of enjoying the surrounding area or taking a few photos seems to evaporate.  There is only the quest of arrival to sooth the wanderlust within me.  There are, however, exceptions.

Occasionally something will stir on the horizon or in my peripheral vision which demands more attention.  There are a few moments where this has been true, the above photo was one of those events.  There, by the side of the road, was the most amazing collection of marine paraphernalia I have ever seen.  Enough amazing colours, lines, shapes, and eye catching bric-a-brac to indulge any photo enthusiast.  What was even better was that it was organized with great care; not strewn about with abandon.

Relinquishing the desire to pass this visual smorgasbord, we pulled over and explored the organized mayhem.  Although hours could have been spent considering all the possible views in the search for the quintessential photograph, I allotted only enough time to get off a couple of shots.  Still though, I really like this photo, as it speaks about the power of colour and lines in an image.  It also reminds me to stop more frequently and smell the roses, or in this case, see the ropes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment