Thursday, October 24, 2019

Moraine Lake, Banff.

Moraine Lake in the morning.
One of the most remarkable sites I have had the pleasure to see is Moraine Lake in Banff National Park.  Its pristine turquoise waters contrast against the grey limestone peaks in the background with talus slopes testifying to the age of the vista.  On a clear day, the azure sky adds to the scenescape producing a true national treasure.

The moment I was there, photographing in awe all that was before me, did not prognosticate what my daughter would later do with the image.  The shot above, and another like it, is being used by her in a quest to find subjects to paint. 

After taking art classes for many a year, she found herself in a conflict of sorts.  The problem lay with where she was getting the material from.  Books, works of art, and other people's images were the inspiration for what she put upon canvas.  It was all copyrighted; protected from being duplicated without permission or recompense.  After some discussion with her family, she decided to use the images I had created over time.  She would peruse through many hundreds of images cached in my hard drives and find one which suited her creative desire.

Her current project is to paint the above photograph, on an especially large canvas.  She wants to use it to cover the television which will eventually be mounted on the wall in her newly fabricated suite.  I don't always get to see my photos used, and it nice to see that something wonderful will come of a joint project between my daughter and I.  It makes the majesty of the scene all the more poignant.

Thanks for reading.   www.ericspix.com


No comments:

Post a Comment