Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Maple Ridge Dikes

A family of cyclists enjoying time together on Maple Ridge Dikes.
My daughter once told me she had to write a 1000 word essay.  I asked her why not submit a picture instead.  We know where this idea comes from, the adage is familiar to us all, but the sentiment it carries is true.  Pictures carry visual information far better than words and can do so in considerably less time.

A photograph should convey information, and a good photograph should do it convincingly or with strong aesthetic qualities.  National Geographic is famous for its photos because they often achieve one or both simultaneously.  Few of my images would fall into that category.  I do aspire to capture such photos though, and I occasionally succeed.

I like the above photo because it tells a story.  I do not know the people involved; in fact, I don't even recall ever seeing them.  The number of bikes (2 large and three smaller) and their proximity suggest a family.  The fact they have been abandoned connotates a care-free disposition and that they are nearby exploring what the area has to offer.  It is not too difficult to come to that conclusion.

I also like how the elements of the photo relate to one another.  The rule of thirds, the use of lines drawing the eye, the familiar background with Thornhill's silhouette establishing the location, and even the bikes' shadows pointing towards the family's likely location all add to its appeal.  The thing I like most about it though is that it represents one of the great features offered by our area and reminds me of the many occasions I have partaken of its revitalizing essence.  I could look at this photo forty years from now and be brought back home in my mind immediately.  Perhaps it is not a great shot, but I love it for those reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment