Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Where's Bear?

Can you find Bear in this picture?
I have a collection of stuffies.  Mind you, this is not an admission of guilt or shame, it is just a fact.  I can utter those six incriminating words with impunity because I have a daughter, who at one time, had more stuffies than a shark has teeth.  As she grew up the population was culled to the point where she can count the number using only one hand.  Many of those furry inanimate organisms found new homes through garage sales, donations, or a conveniently located "dust bin", as the British call it.  I happened to procure the odd one for memory's sake.

Not that I obtained all my furry friends this way.  Admittedly I have purchased some for my own purposes.  Some of the pack, those that were more photogenic, have appeared in images I have created to fulfill some benevolent aspiration.  I use them in stories, photo assignments, fulfilling ambitions in a moment of silliness, demonstrating some photography principle, and in "Find the _____" shots, as the above picture illustrates.  I cannot say that my relationship runs deeper than that with them, although some may venture to offer an alternative hypothesis.  For the record, they all live in the same room where I keep my snake, which happens to be real and eats mice on a regular basis.

Consider this an idea for people who want to get kids involved with photography.  Have them take a stuffy and hide it somewhere in an area and photograph it in such a way that one would have to search for it in the picture to find it.  They will not get the technique right away but, with a little encouragement, will eventually develop a sound methodology.  Consider making the following suggestions:

1.  Do not put the subject in the center each time, although an occasional basis is fine.  This helps them work with the idea of composition.
2.  Find new places to put the stuffie, not using the same location each time.  This also helps them work with variables such as lighting and different exposure settings.
3.  Keep the critter small enough in the picture to make you search but not so small that it is impossible to find it.  The physical size is not that important, although a small stuffie will mean using a smaller area to search in.  A toy the size of an orange can be adequately hidden in an area the size of a table top, while a large toy the size of your head will need the space of a whole room.  This helps with creativity and planning concepts.
4.  If you go somewhere - mall, vacation, grandma's, outdoors - have them bring their subject and help them negotiate the complexities of that environment.  Get them to ask for permission, to be on the lookout for a special place, and so on.
5.  After they have made a collection of shots, say 10, present their work for the family to enjoy.  Each child could have their own set of pictures.  Give positive comments and encourage them to improve.

The great thing about this is that adults can do this too.  I know, because I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment