Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Vermilion lakes, Banff

Beautiful Vermilion Lake, Banff, Alberta
There are lots of different ways to see the world.  Most of us, in North America anyway, do it through the window of a car, either as a passenger or a driver.  Sometimes we will walk a bit, although it often entails leaving the car to visit some place briefly then getting right back in again.  We came, we saw, we left.  I know this because it is the way I often travel.  It is always enjoyable, but I have to tell you there is much more to the world that what you can see by car.
I love the outdoors, although my body is as such that I can't love it quite the way I used to.  Still though, if you really want to get to experience something intimately rather than through the typical drop and leave method familiar to so many of us, you have to get out of your comfort zone.  It means spending time, energy, and resources in the attempt to have a close encounter of the bird kind (and other living things too).  It not just about the land, its also about what is upon, above, and in it.
The above photo I shot a couple of years ago while visiting Banff.  We were there for a week or so and I brought along my kayaks.  Kayaking is just another way to explore the planet, but it gets you close and personal to nature unlike strolling along a paved path.  It is one of the reasons I go kayaking; I can go places and see things few others have been able to.  But it is not the only way to explore.
Whether your explorations take place on a trail, in a canoe, or from a car, they all have one marvelous thing in common; you get out of the house and spend some time admiring what a great country we have.  If, you happen to be away from Canada, then you can appreciate what a great planet we are here to enjoy.  I want to encourage you, plan to go and explore your country / planet.  Yes, it all takes time, energy, and resources, but you will have experience something which electronic media cannot possibly give; an awareness and a connection, deep and personal, to this great place called Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment